Bad weather procedure
Every winter brings the possibility of snow and ice.
Extreme bad weather can cause widespread and prolonged disruption.
Schools are often affected and it can be difficult to maintain an education service.
As a fundamental principle every effort must be made to keep schools open, even if only limited numbers of pupils can attend. However schools may close due to ‘unavoidable’ circumstances. Those circumstances being that it is no longer safe for staff or pupils to be onsite.
We recognise that it is important our School remains open so parents are able to work and pupils can continue to learn. Hadlow Rural Community School will make every effort to prepare for severe snow/ice this winter by ensuring that School access points are cleared, pathways are gritted and there is a clear channel of communication between the coach company, the School and parents.
Once this decision has been made we will notify parents via the Kent Closures website
However, if we do experience severe snow/ice resulting in hazardous conditions, we may have no alternative but to take the decision to close the School. Once this decision has been made we will notify parents via the Kent Closures website and ParentMail. To determine whether Hadlow Rural Community School is open or closed please visit www.kentclosures.co.uk. Search for the school in the search box. The Kent Closures website can also be used to find out if other services in Kent are open or closed, such as nurseries, children’s centres and libraries. We also recommend parents sign up for SMS/Email alerts on the Kent Closures website. This service will send an SMS or email alert to let parents know if Hadlow Rural Community School is closed. You can also listen to BBC Radio Kent to hear if the School has closed. Updates will also be provided on the School website www.hrcschool.org. In the event of closure, work will be provided through Show My Homework which can be accessed via the School website.
What can you do to help?
- Please visit www.kent.gov.uk/winter for more information about gritting routes and travel issues around Kent so you can plan your journey.
- Please take care on the college driveway and, if parking, ensure access remains available for the School coaches.
- Please can you provide a packed lunch from home in case school meals cannot be provided.
- Don’t forget suitable warm clothing – gloves, hats, scarves, wellies etc. or even a change of clothing.
- If you are a working parent or feel you may have a problem with a sudden earlier pick up, please could you put a back‐up plan in place with another family member or parent and inform the School. This will allow staff to leave earlier for their safety if weather dictates.
In the case of closure during the School day we will make every effort to ensure that the coach service is available as soon as is practicably possible.
School Office: 01732 853241
School Email: email@example.com